Cheol Park (Email: email@example.com Phone: 757-864-8360)
Senior Research Engineer, Advanced Materials and Processing Branch, Mail Stop 226
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA, 23681 USA
PhD in Macromolecular Science & Engineering, The University of Michigan, Feb. 1997.
BS/MS in Textile Engineering, Seoul National University, Feb. 1987/1989
2014- Senior Researcher at NASA Langley Research Center
2007-14 Research Fellow at NIA
2003-07 Senior Research Scientist of NIA
2001-02 Senior Staff Scientist of ICASE
2000-01 Staff Scientist of ICASE
1998-00 NRC Research Associate at NASA Langley Research Center
1997-98 Postdoctoral Fellow in Materials Sci & Eng, The University of Michigan
1992-97 GSRA in Materials Science and Engineering, The University of Michigan
1989-90 Second Lieutenant in Korean Army
1987-89 Graduate Research Assistant in Textile Engineering, Seoul National University
The current research activities include boron nitride nanotube and boron carbon nitride nanotube synthesis, purification, dispersion, and structural multifunctional BNNT/BCNNT composite development. Doped chiral polymer metamaterials for optical ranges have been studied. Sensing and actuating capabilities of carbon nanotube or boron nitride nanotube reinforced electroactive polymer nanocomposites have been studied to improve controlled responses upon various external stimuli during aeronautic aviation and space exploration. Intrinsic radiation shielding materials for avionics electronics and space exploration have been developed.
– Boron nitride nanotubes/Carbon nanotubes/Boron carbon nitride nanotubes
– Dispersion of nanotubes
– Multifunctional Nanocomposites for Extreme Space Environments
– Electroactive Smart Materials
– Electrical and dielectric properties of nanocomposites
– Solar absorption/thermal emission control
– Radiation shielding materials
– Doped polymer metamaterials
2019 NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal
2017 National Institute Aerospace Best Publication Award (Electroactive and Radiation Shielding Properties of BNNT Composites)
2016 NASA Government Invention of the Year Award (BNNT)
2016 NASA Exceptional Space Act Award (BNNT)
2015 NASA Group Achievement Award for BNNT Research Team
2010 NASA H. J. E. Reid Award (the best paper award of the year)
2009 NASA Whitcomb and Holloway Technology Transfer Award (Carbon Nanotube dispersion)
2007 Best Mentorship Research Site Award (VA New Horizon Governor’s School)
2005 NASA H. J. E. Reid Award 3rdPlace
2004 NASA Langley R&T Team Award for Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposite Development Team
2004 NASA Langley R&T Team Award for Inherently Conductive Polymers (ICP) & Piezoelectrics for Planetary Vehicles/Explores
2004 NASA Langley R&T Team Award for Advanced Polymers for the MISSE I, II, III, IV, & V
1997 National Research Council Research Associateship Award
1996 SAMPE Outstanding Graduate Student Award
1989 Korean Government Oversea Scholarship
JOURNAL/BOOK CHAPTER PUBLICATIONS https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QICYz4IAAAAJ&hl=en
- P. Snapp, C. Cho, D. Lee, S.W. Nam, C. Park, “Tunable Piezoelectricity of Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube/Polydimethylsiloxane Stretchable Composites,” submitted.
- Choi, R. Moses, C. Park, C. Fay, and DR. Komar, “Implementation Concept of Operation for a Multi-Purpose Cassegrain Solar Concentrator, Micro-Spectrometers, and Electrostatic Neutralizers to Enable In Situ Construction Activities plus Lunar, Planetary, and Deep Space Science Exploration on the Moon,” NASA-TM, submitted.
- Dmuchowski, C. Yi, F. Gou, A. Sharma, C. Park, and C. Ke, “Oxidation Weakens Interfaces in Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Titanium Nanocomposites: An in situ Electron Microscopy Nanomechanical Study.” submitted.
- Alsmairat, F. Gou, C. Dmuchowski, P. Chariot, C. Park, R. Miles, and C. Ke, “Quantifying the interfacial load transfer in electrospun carbon nanotube polymer nanocomposite microfibers by using in situ Raman micromechanical characterization techniques,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 53, 3653 (2020).
- Cho, J. H. Kim, J. H. Hwang, C. S. Kim, S. G. Jang, C. Park, H. S Lee, and M. J. Kim, “Single- and double-walled boron nitride nanotubes: Controlled synthesis and application for water purification,” Sci. Rep, 10, 7416 (2020).
- H. Kim, H. Cho, T. V. Pham, J. H. Hwang, S. Ahn, S. G. Jang, H. Lee, C. Park, C. S. Kim, and M. J. Kim, “Dual growth mode of boron nitride nanotubes in high temperature pressure laser ablation,” Scientific Reports 9, 15674 (2019).
- Chang, M. Lu, P. J. Arias-Monje, J. Luo, C. Park, S. Kumar, “Determination of the Orientation and Stress Transfer of Boron Nitride Nanotubes in Polyacrylonitrile Fibers,” ACS ANM 2, 6670 (2019).
- Sauti, C. Park, J. Lee, H. Luong, S.-H. Chu, “NtGCM User’s Manual: 1.1 (High Pressure High Temperature Laser based) Nanotube Growth Chamber Monitor,” NASA/TM-2019-220395 (2019)
- Jia, T. Ajayi, J. Morales, M. A. R. Chowdhury, G. Sauti, S.-H. Chu, C. Park, and C. Xu, “Thermal Properties of Polymer-Derived Ceramic Composites Reinforced with High Volume Fractions of Boron Nitride Nanotube at Elevated Temperature,” J. Am. Cer. Soc. 102, 7584 (2019).
- Chang, M. Lu, J. Luo, J. G. Park, R. Liang, C. Park, and S. Kumar, “Polyacrylonitile/Boron Nitride Nanotubes Composite Precursor and Carbon Fibers,” Carbon, 147, 419 (2019)
- Marincel, M. Adnan, J. Ma, E. A. Bengio, M. Trafford, O.Kleinerman, D. V. Kosynkin, S.-H. Chu, C.l Park, S. J.A. Hocker, C. C. Fay, S. Arepalli, A. A. Martí, Y. Talmon, and M. Pasquali, “Scalable Purification of Boron Nitride Nanotubes via Wet Thermal Etching,” Chem. Mater. 31, 1520 (2019)
- Yi, S. Bagchi, Feilin Gou, C, M Dmuchowski, C. Park, C. Fay, H. B. Chew, and C. Ke, “Direct Nanomechanical Measurements of Boron Nitride Nanotube – Ceramic Interfaces,” Nanotechnology, 30, 025706 (2019).
- Leong, Y. Seo, S.-H. Chu, C. Park, E. J. Jeon, S.-W. Cho, Y. Y. Yang, L. DiPietro, D. H. Kim, and H. Kong, “Pore Diameter of Mesoporous Silica Modulates Oxidation of H2O2-Sensing Chromophore in a Porous Matrix,” Langmuir, 34, 11242 (2018).
- Seo, J. Leong, J. D. Park, Y.-T. Hong, S.-H. Chu, C. Park, D. H. Kim, Y.-H Deng, V. Dushnov, J. Soh, S. Rogers, Y. Y. Yang, and H. Kong, “Diatom Microbubbler for Active Biofilm Removal in Confined Spaces,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 10, 35685 (2018).
- Rohmann, V. Yamakov, C. Park, C. Fay, M. Hankel, and D. Searles, “Interaction of Boron Nitride Nanotubes with Aluminium: A Computational Study,” J. Phys. Chem. C, web (2018).
- Yi, S. Bagchi, C. M Dmuchowski, X. Chen, C. Park, H. B. Chew, and C. K, “Direct Nanomechanical Characterization of Carbon Nanotube-Titanium Interfaces,” Carbon,132, 538 (2018).
- Adnan, D. Marincel, O. Kleinerman, S.-H. Chu, C. Park, S. Hocker, C. Fay, S. Arepalli, and Y. Talmon, M. Pasquali, “Extraction of Boron Nitride Nanotubes and Fabrication of Macroscopic Articles Using Chlorosulfonic Acid,” Nano Letters, 18, 1615 (2018).
- Kleinerman, M. Adnan, D. Marincel, A. Ma, A. Bengio, C. Park, S.-H. Chu, M. Pasquali, and Y. Talmon, “Dissolution and Characterization of Boron Nitride Nanotubes in Superacid,” Langmuir, 33, 1430 (2017).
- Yi, X. Chen, Feilin Gou, C, M Dmuchowski, A. Sharma, C. Park, and C. Ke, “Direct Measurements of the Mechanical Strength of Carbon Nanotube – Aluminum Interfaces,” Carbon, 125, 39 (2017).
- X. Chen, C. M Dmuchowski, C. Park, C. C. Fay, and C. Ke,“Quantitative Characterization of Structural and Mechanical Properties of Boron Nitride Nanotubes
- V. Yamakov, C. Park, J. H. Kang, X. Chen, C. Ke, C. Fay, “Piezoelectric and Elastic Properties of Multiwall Boron Nitride Nanotubes and Their Fibers: A Molecular Dynamics Study,” Computational. Mater. Sci., 135, 29 (2017).
- S. Kim, M. J. Kim, C. Park, C. C. Fay, S.-H. Chu, K. T. Kingston, B. Simard, “Scalable Manufacturing of Boron Nitride Nanotubes and Their Assemblies,” Semiconductor Sci. and Tech., 32, 013003 (2017).
- BNNT Team, “Lightweight, Ultra-Strong Nanotubes to Transform Industry,” NASA Spinoff2016, (https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2016/t_3.html)
- Tiano, L.Gibbons, M. Tsui, S. Applin, R. Silva, C. Park, and C. Fay, “A Thermodynamic Approach to Boron Nitride Nanotube Solubility and Dispersion,” Nanoscale,8, 4348(2016).
- H. Kang, G. Sauti, C. Park, V. Yamakov, K. Wise, S. Lowther, C. Fay, S.Thibeault, and R. Bryant, “Multifunctional electroactive nanocomposites based on piezoelectric boron nitride nantoubes,” ACS Nano,9, 11942(2015).
- Chen, L. Zhang,C. Park, C. C. Fay, X. Wang, and C. Ke, “Superior Load Transfer Capacity of Boron Nitride Nanotube-Polymer Interfaces,” Appl. Phys. Lett.,107, 253105 (2015).
- Bedsole, H. Tipper, C. Park, and P. Bogert, “A critical evaluation of the enhancement of mechanical properties of epoxy modified using CNTs,” Mater. Res. Exp. 2, 095020 (2015)
- Thibeault, J. H. Kang, G. Sauti, C. Park, C. Fay, and G. King, “Nanomaterials for Radiation Shielding,” MRS Bulletin, 48, 836 Oct (2015).
- Zhao, B. Ming, J.-W. Kim, L. J Gibbons, X. Gu, T. Nguyen, C. Park, P. T Lillehei, J. Villarrubia, and A. E. Vladár, “New Insights on Subsurface Imaging of Carbon Nanotubes Embedded in Polymer Composites via Scanning Electron Microscopy,” Nanotechnology, 26, 085703 (2015).
- Chen, L. Zhang, M. Zheng, C. Park, X. Wang, and C. Ke, “Quantitative Nanomechanical Characterization of the van der Waals Interfaces between Carbon Nanotubes and Epoxy,” Carbon, 82, 214 (2015).
- Yamakov, C. Park, J. H. Kang, K. E. Wise, and C. C. Fay, “Molecular dynamics model of piezoelectric boron nitride nanotubes,” Computational. Mater. Sci.,95, 362 (2014)
- Liao, Z. Chen, J. W. Connell, C. C. Fay, C. Park, J.-W. Kim, and Y. Lin, “Chemical Sharpening, Shortening, and Unzipping of Boron Nitride Nanotubes,” Adv. Func. Mater., 24, 4497 (2014).
- Zhao, X. Chen, C. Park, C. C. Fay, S. Stupkiewicz, and C. Ke, “Mechanical Deformations of Boron Nitride Nanotubes in Crossed Junctions,” J. Appl. Phys., 115, 164305 (2014).
- Zheng, X. Chen, C. Park, N. M. Pugon, and C. Ke, “Nanomechanical Cutting of Boron Nitride Nanotubes by Atomic Force Microscopy,” Nanotechnology, 24, 505719 (2013).
- Chen, M. Zheng, C. Park, and C. Ke, “Direct Measurements of the Mechanical Strength of Carbon Nanotube–Poly(methyl methacrylate) Interfaces,” Small, 9, 3345 (2013).
- Chen, M. Zheng, C. Park, and C. Ke, “Collision and dynamic frictional properties of boron nitride nanotubes,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 102, 121912 (2013).
- Carpena-Nunez, D. Yang, J.. Kim, C. Park, L. Fonseca, “Mechanical characterization of pristine and hydrogen-exposed palladium nanowires by in situ TEM,” Nanotechnology, 24, 035701 (2013).
- Zheng, L.Zou, H. Wang, C. Park, and C. Ke, “Quantifying the transverse deformability of double-walled carbon and boron nitride nanotubes using an ultrathin nanomembrane covering scheme,” J. Appl. Phys., 112, 104318 (2012).
- Kang, K. Gordon, C. Park, P. Lillehei, J. Harrison, “A Novel Negative Dielectric Constant Material Based on Phosphoric Acid Doped Poly(benzimidazole),” J. Appl. Poly. Sci., 125, 2777(2012).
- -W. Kim, P. T. Lillehei, and C. Park, “Electrocatalytic Behavior of an Assembly of Modified Proteins in an Aqueous Buffer Solution,” J. Mater. Chem. 22, 8408(2012).
- Zheng,L.-F. Zou, H. Wang, C. Park, and C. Ke,“Engineering Radial Deformations in Single-walled Carbon and Boron Nitride Nanotubes using Ultra-thin Nano-membranes,” ACS Nano,6, 1814 (2012).
- Yang, S. Liang, L. Zou, C. Park, L. Huang, L. Zhu, J. Fang, and H. Wang, “Intercalating Oleylamines in Graphite Oxide,” Langmuir,28, 2904 (2012).
- Meng Zheng, Changhong Ke, In-Tae Bae, Cheol Park, Michael W. Smith,Kevin Jordan, “Radial Elasticity of Multi-walled Boron Nitride Nanotubes.” Nanotechnology, 23, 095703 (2012).
- Park, J.-W. Kim, G. Sauti, J. H. Kang, C. S. Lovell, L. J. Gibbons, S. E. Lowther, P. T. Lillehei, J. S. Harrison, N. Nazem and L. T. Taylor, “Metallized Nanotube Polymer Composites via Supercritical Fluid Impregnation,” Poly. Sci.: Poly. Phys., 50, 394 (2012).
- Zheng, X. Chen, I.-T. Bae, C. Ke, C. Park, M. W. Smith, andK. Jordan, “Radial Mechanical Properties of Single-walled Boron Nitride Nanotubes,” Small,8, 116(2012).
- Lovell, J. M. Fitz-Gerald, and C.Park, “Decoupling the effects of crystallinity and orientation on the shear piezoelectricity of polylactic acid,” Poly. Sci.: Poly. Phys., 49, 1555(2011).
- -H Zhong, C. Ulven, C. Park, R. G. Maguire, J. H. Kang, G. Sauti, and M. A. Fuqua, Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2ndedition, Chapter: Polymer Nanocomposites and Functionalities, American Scientific Publishers, volume 21 171-218 (2011) (www.aspbs.com/enn).
- Lovell, J. H. Kang, G. Sauti, J. M. Fitz-Gerald, and C. Park, “Shear piezoelectricity in single-wall carbon nanotube/poly (g-benzyl-L-glutamate) composites,” Poly. Sci.: Poly. Phys.48, 2355 (2010).
- Zhao, X. Gu, C. Park, J. Jean, and T. Nguyen, “Development of quantitative electric force microscopy for subsurface characterization of carbon nanotubes in polymer composites,” Nanotechnology,21, 225702 (2010).
- W. Smith, K. C. Jordan, C. Park, J.-W. Kim, P. T. Lillehei, R. Crooks, J. S. Harrison, “Very Long Single and Few-walled Boron Nitride Nanotubes via the Pressurized Vapor/Condenser Method,“Nanotechnology, 50, 505604 (2009).
- T. Lillehei, J.-W. Kim, L. J. Gibbons, and C. Park, “A quantitative assessment of carbon nanotube dispersion in polymer matrices,” Nanotechnology., 20, 325708 (2009).
- -B. Xu, N. Guerreiro, J. Hubbard, J. H. Kang, C. Park, and J. Harrison, “One-Dimensional Contact Mode Interdigitated Center of PressureSensor (CMIPS),” Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 233503 (2009).
- H. Kang, C. Park, J. A. Scholl, A. H. Brazin, N. M. Holloway, J. W. High, S. E. Lowther, and J. S. Harrison, “Piezoresistive Characteristics of Single Wall Carbon Nanotube/Polyimide Nanocomposites,” J. Poly. Sci.: Poly. Phys., 47, 994 (2009).
- Lovell, K. E. Wise, J.-W. Kim, P. T. Lillehei, J. S. Harrison, C. Park, “Thermodynamic Approach to Enhanced Dispersion and Physical Properties in a Carbon Nanotube/Polypeptide Nanocomposite” Polymer, 50, 1925 (2009).
- H. Kang, C. Park, S. E. Lowther, and C. E. Park, “All-Organic Actuator Fabricated with Single Wall Carbon Nanotube Electrodes,” J. Poly. Sci.: Poly. Phys.,46, 2532 (2008).
- T. Lillehei, J.-W. Kim, C. Park, R.E. Crooks, and E. J. Siochi, NIST recommended practice guide: measurement issues in single wall carbon nanotubes: Ch. 5 – Optical, electron, and scanned probe microscopy(U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 2008).
- Ounaies, C. Barnes, C. Park, J. Harrison, P. Lillehei, “Dielectric and mechanical characterization of polyimides and polyimide nanocomposites,” J. Thermoplastic Comp. Mater.21, 393 (2008).
- Park, J.H. Kang, J. S. Harrison, R. C. Costen, and S. E. Lowther, “Novel Actuating SWNT Polymer Composites: Intrinsic Unimorph,” Adv. Mater.,20, 2074 (2008).
- Styers-Barnett, S. Ellison, B. Westlake, B. Mehl, R. House, C. Park, K. Wise, and J. Papanikolas, “Biexcitonic States in Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Phys. Chem. C., 112, 4507 (2008).
- K, J, Sun, R. A. Wincheski, and C. Park, “Magnetic property measurements on single Wall carbon nanotube-polyimide composites,” J. Appl. Phys.,103, 023908 (2008).